The Mozart Opera
The Marriage of Figaro
Types of Opera
- Opera Seria - Serious opera
- Opera Buffa - Comic opera
Marriage of Figaro
- Based on a play by Beaumarchais
- Setting and context to the revolutions
- Characters (in order of appearance)
- Figaro - Valet to Count Almaviva
- Susanna - Chamber maid to Countess Almaviva. The
Count has designs on her, and seeks to reclaim the ancient royal right
of Jus Prima Noctus.
- Marcellina - The Count's housekeeper. Figaro once
borrowed money from her and gave a promissory note promising to marry
her if it was not repaid.
- Dr. Bartolo - Has experience in litigation, and
since he has a grudge against Figaro is happy to pursue Marcellina's case.
- Cherubino - A over-sexed adolescent boy (played
by a woman) who adds comic relief.
- Count Almaviva - The aristocrat who seeks to use
his power to have his way with Susanna as a condition of his approval
of her marriage to Figaro.
- Basilio - The court music master, who is a proverbial
gossip. He has been the go-between trying to get Susanna to accept to
Count's offer for a tryst.
- Villagers - The local peasants of the Count's province.
- Opens in a room given to Figaro & Susanna by the Count,
conveniently close to his room
- Figaro measures for the bed, Susanna explains the Count's real
- Dr. Bartolo & Marcellina plan their revenge on Figaro
- Susanna & Marcellina have an exchange of "pleasantries"
- Cherubino comes to see Susanna, they are interrupted by the
- He tries to seduce Susanna with Cherubino overhearing
- Basilio enters to stir things up
- Count reveals himself, and discovers Cherubino himself also
- Cherubino who now knows too much is cleverly disposed of
- The Count delays the marriage ceremony to buy time - the villagers
sarcastically "praise" the Count
Resource of Mark Hunter