"Nihilism stands at the door."
Thus Spoke Zarathustra (1883)
- The state of man stuck between ape and a higher state
aeternum deo - God is Dead
- Nietzsche's view of the current state of religion
- The world without absolute truths
- The Ubermensch in the making
- Nihilism is the illness
the Ubermensch is the cure
Beyond Good and Evil (1886)
- A new morality to replace the old
- An anti Judeo-Christian morality
- "New wine in old skins"
- Not a transformation of the old, but a destruction making
way for the new
- Anti democratic
- Chaos of "nose counters"
- Worship of mediocrity
- "Babel governments"
- A new aristocracy
- Superior individuals rising above the mediocre masses
- A blood caste
- Plato's guardians - tyrant philosophers?
Implications in the Arts
- "Total work of art"
- A Romantic synthesis of music, literature, philosophy,
and art into a complete aesthetic
- Richard Strauss - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
- Absolute - i.e. god (nature) given? (AKA The Enlightenment)
- Imposed by the strong to control the masses (AKA The Inquisitor)
- Used by the weak to limit the strong (AKA Nietzsche)
Resource of Mark Hunter