The Information Age
General traits of the Information Age.
- Second wave - mass media stamps icons on
- Marilyn Monroe's skirt
- Third wave - temporary/fleeting ever changing
- Web sites
- Famous people
- "Blip Culture"
- Second wave gave prepackaged strings of information
- Filtered and organized strings of information
- News reels
- 6:oo news
- Third wave gives "blips" which each person
must organize themselves
- Fragments from multiple sources, unfiltered
- Potential for confusion
- Political ramifications
- Multiple sources and smaller audiences
- Community by interest verses geography
Ramifications of the Information Age
- Less commonality, and more individualism
- Social Fragmentation
The Coming Conflict?
- Clashing waves and the struggle for survival
- Historical examples
- Bourgeois vs. Aristocracy
- American War between the States
- Today's manifestations
- Government policy
- The changing Nation-State?
Resource of Mark Hunter